Investigation of vomiting - leaving no stone unturned...

Posted by on 29 March 2018 | Comments

Sammy came in to us in March after he had been vomiting on and off for a few weeks. He had tried treatment for inflammation of the pancreas from another vets but it hadn’t seemed to help. In fact he was getting worse and hadn’t eaten for a few days before coming in to see us. He doesn’t like the vets much so it was hard to examine and help him until he had a sedative injection. Once he was relaxed we could feel a small lump in his abdomen that was very round and hard.

We took some x-rays to see if we could learn more about this lump and from those it looked like Sammy had swallowed a ball or a stone and it was stuck in his intestines.

His owner agreed to an operation to see what was going on and to remove whatever it was that Sammy had swallowed. It turned out to be this stone! It must have been sat in his stomach making him feel a bit sick but not causing too much trouble until it passed into his small intestine and got stuck at a narrow part. Kay and Helen did a brilliant job getting the stone out and we’re pleased to see he has made a full recovery and is looking much happier now. He’s not going to be allowed near anymore stones though!

Dogs (and sometimes cats) will eat all sorts of things they shouldn’t! Things like stones, toys, socks, bones and string can all get stuck in the digestive system. Not every pet is as lucky as Sammy,  so keep an eye out for things missing in the home and watch your pet when they’re out and about. Call us if you’re worried they might have swallowed something they shouldn’t have done!