Hydrotherapy can be used to speed recovery after operations, or to slow the progression of degenerative conditions. It may also be used as a pre-operative fitness regime in order to allow a dog to maintain condition before an operation if it cannot exercise normally. It is increasingly used by many vets and specialists to increase range of movement, speed up recovery, and provide mental stimulation for dogs (and cats) following orthopaedic or spinal surgery. Some insurance companies will cover a certain number of hydrotherapy sessions as part of a veterinary recommended rehabilitation program.
Hydrotherapy can also be used as a fun part of your dog’s weekly routine!
Gaining confidence in the water in a safe environment could be useful for your dog.
Things to check when choosing a hydrotherapy provider:
• Are they a member of the Canine Hydrotherapy Association or National Association of Registered Canine Hydrotherapists? Look for the logo.
• What qualifications do they have?
• Is the hydrotherapy provided as a tank or a swimming pool?
• Is a hoist or a ramp used to help larger dogs enter the water? Hoists can be scary for some dogs but most will be fine.
• Many providers will require a referral from your veterinary surgeon before they will allow swimming for a medical or surgical condition – this is quite normal and in the best interests of your dog.
• Prices can vary depending on how many assistants are needed for each swim, the degree of disability of the dog, the length of session, the facilities provided and the qualifications of staff.
• Some centres will also offer physiotherapy, massage, acupuncture etc. Speak to your vet to see if they think this may be of benefit to your pet.
Here is a list of some of the hydrotherapy providers in the area. Our directory of local services is provided as a source of information to our clients. Listing in this directory is on request, and appearance here does not constitute endorsement of any business by Blue House Veterinary Centre.
Highfield Canine Hydrotherapy
Tel: 01889 505111
Crewe Hall Farm,
Old Park Road,
Tel: 01270 586008
Cheshire Canine Hydrotherapy Centre
Tel: 01565 621721
Woof ‘N’ Water Ltd
5 Hackett Drive
Tel: 0121 558 5020
Well-dogs Canine Hydrotherapy
Tel: 01270 820740